Sunday, April 19, 2015
Saturday, April 11, 2015
|YSL Rive Gauche Le Smoking, Courtesy of FIT|
The 70's mark the rise of the designer as personality. Both YSL and Halston were featured on tv shows and partied at the infamous Studio 54. The exhibit itself mimics the infamous club with its white floors, disco ball and 70's dance music. The designers differ in how their careers ended. Halston's career declined by the end of the decade while YSL was seen as a hero of fashion upon his death.
The exhibit features certain themes, including menswear inspiration, exoticism, and historicism. The best example of menswear inspiration is Saint Laurent's Le Smoking (above). Both designers drew on history for inspiration. For YSl this involved following in French designer Paul Poiret's orientalism with an exotic use of color. On the other hand, Halston rejected such ornamentalism. Instead, Halston drew inspiration from designers such as Vionnet and her complicated use of the bias cut and Claire McCardel's American sportswear.
When museum exhibits focus on two designers in a single decade one can forget that there were many other influential designers at the time. Such a side by side comparison seems simplistic for an entire decade.
The exhibition is open until April 18th.
Friday, April 10, 2015
As I reflected, I realized it all had to do with what I was wearing; my yoga clothes. Because of laziness, I didn't feel the need to change my outfit after yoga practice just to do work in the teachers lounge. However, my ripped yoga pants, sneakers, and ponytail don't make me feel beautiful. My make up free face still makes me feel uncomfortable, though I would never exercise with it on.
The days that I carefully pick out my outfits, do my hair and make up, are the days when my attitude improves. Should the way I dress really affect my self confidence so much? Maybe, maybe not. Psychology believes that self confidence does not come from nowhere. One thing I know is that I'm not alone. How one dresses can affect what one does, how they act and even think. Dress is very much a situated bodily practice.
Monday, March 23, 2015
Ali Ro Baby blue and navy stretch cotton blend colorblock sleeveless dress (see more navy sleeveless dresses)I'm definitely ready for spring. Going outside with 5 layers on just isn't doing it for me anymore. Thank god its officially. Winter always makes me feel like I have to wear a lot of dark colors so I can't wait to pop out the brightness.
This is a very dark winter look. Dress is Madewell, Lipstick is Chanel.
Tuesday, January 20, 2015
There are investment pieces and then there are pieces that are not worth spending a lot of money on. Here are some things not to invest in and some alternatives.
- Fashion Sneakers- Sneakers in general do not last, especially when they are worn a great number of times. Instead try Vans or Converse as they are still classic sneakers but a quarter of the price.
- Trendy nail polish- No trend moves faster than nail polish. Instead, a classic color is the reddish black of Chanel's Vamp.
- Work out wear- Items like sports bras are only meant to last about 6 month -1 year with the constant wear and washing. Work out clothes from Target and Old Navy are just as good as quality.
- Lipstick- High end brand lipsticks can be expensive and they aren't necessarily better. What you're really paying for is the name and the packaging. Drugstore brands like Revlon are just as good and sometimes last longer.
- Statement heels- One minute minimalist heels are in, very bold heels the next. Better to just invest in classic heels.
Sunday, December 21, 2014
I would like to thank Valentia Skin Care for allowing me to review their product. This product can be purchased on Amazon.com I used this product for about a month with fairly decent results. Though I do not have many wrinkles, the idea is that you can never start too early.
- This serum has a great citrus scent, which really makes it stand out.
- Not as heavy as other anti-aging serum and can be worn under moisturizer and makeup.
- Dries rapidly.
- Eye dropper bottle easy to use.
- Can cause acne. Acne may go away with continued use. I used very little in the areas where I am prone to acne. I would not recommend this product for those who are prone to adult acne.